Do something special for yourself in 2017. Take the time to go on a crochet vacation. Take a trip to a crochet retreat, book yourself on a crochet cruise or attend a crochet workshop / convention in an interesting area. Here are some of the best options for 2017 crochet travel.
Marrakech Crochet Retreats
I have always wanted to go on one of the Marrakech crochet retreats hosted at Chambres d’Amis. They happen twice yearly, in spring and fall. This is a collaboration between Ingrid Jansen and Ank van der Pluijm; they are also doing non-crochet retreats this year for people interested in exploring the beautiful gardens of the area! The 2017 crochet retreats are scheduled for May 3-8, 2017 and October 4-9, 2017. You get housing, food, yarn, hooks and crochet patterns. You will have the opportunity to buy additional fiber in the local souk, do outdoor crochet in the desert and the urban jungle, among other places, and enjoy general sightseeing in the beautiful region.
Frank & Olive Crochet Retreats
They say, “During your weekend of utter relaxation, delicious food and mountains of yarn, we will be running around four exclusive workshops. The majority of workshops will be super fun and on trend crochet with us, Frank&Olive, but there will also be an exciting new craft for you to have a go at, taught by one of the country’s leading designer/makers.” It all happens at an English cottage “just outside Thirsk (near York)”. Dates of the retreat for 2017 are the weekends of 2/24, 3/31, 7/7, 9/22, 10/13 and 11/24.
Craftours Crochet Trip
Craftours is a travel company specifically for crafters. They offer tours for all different kinds of crafts from scrapbooking to photography to all sorts of fiber arts. Their 2017 crochet tour is a 9-day tour of Tuscany with workshops from fabulous crochet designer Lily Chin. The tour also includes sightseeing, artist studio visits and a cooking lesson. Can’t make it to this trip? Mark your 2018 calendar for their New Zealand crochet tour. Interested in learning more about various local arts and crafts? Check out their Ultimate Expeditions which include a March trip to China, a September trip to India and a November trip to Bali.
Knitting and Crochet in France
Sue Culligan is a British knitting designer living in France with her wood-turning husband where they host retreats and workshops for knitters/ crocheters. The retreats have no formal education whereas the workshops are more class-based. There are several retreats throughout the year, mostly in spring and fall, and two 2017 workshop dates: the week of September 9 and the week of October 22.
Additional Crochet / Yarn / Fiber Arts Retreat
Here are some more to check on:
- Devon Sun Yarn Retreats, UK, several dates throughout the year (emphasis on yarn dyeing)
- Gartmore House Knitting and Crochet Retreats, UK, several dates through the year
- Camp LuWiSoMo Weekend Crafting Retreats, Wisconsin, 3 dates in 2017
- Cecilia’s Samplers Fiber Art Retreats, Missouri, 4 dates in 2017
- Women with Wool, England, 4 dates in 2017
- Yarn and Fiber Retreats in Ayreshire Scotland, 1 in February and 1 in March
- The Creative Place Open Stitch Retreat, Kansas, January 2017
- Walt Disney World Swan Resort Fiber Fantasy Retreat, Florida, January 2017
- Making Winter Retreat, England, February 2017
- Knitting and Stitching Retreat, Devon, February 2017
- Knitting Boutique Weekend Getaway, Maryland, February 2017
- Craft Scotland Knitting and Crochet Retreat, March 2017
- Carolina Fiber Frolic, North Carolina, March 2017
- Fiber Art Retreat, Missouri, March 2017
- DFW Fiber Fest, Texas, April 2017 (plenty of crochet classes)
- Praying with Hearts and Hands, Maine, spiritual retreat for knitting / crocheting prayer shawls, April and May 2017
- Stitch Your Art Out Retreat, Pennsylvania, April 2017
- Men’s Spring Knitting Retreat, New York, May 2017
- DocKnits Retreat, Canada, May 2017 (knitting)
- A Good Yarn Retreat, Florida, May 2017 (primarily knitting)
- Durango, Colorado Crochet Retreat, May 2017
- Dream Weaver and Crocheting Retreat, Fiji, June 2017
- Griffin Dyeworks Weekend Retreat, California, June 2017
- Therapeutic Wellness Retreat, France, (art therapy including crochet, along with yoga and other wellness)
- New England Fiber Arts Retreat, Maine, July 2017
- Hooked Knitting Retreat, Maine, August 2017 (includes crochet classes)
Mikey of The Crochet Crowd offers education and creative exploration on a series of Crochet Cruises. There are crochet workshops aboard the ship as well as more informal craft gatherings, along with the opportunity to enjoy a variety of destinations when the ship stops. 2017 trips include Hawaii in February and 3 October trips (a Disney Cruise and 2 Caribbean trips).
Crochet Conferences and Expos
The Knitting Universe STITCHES events are also wildly popular. Dates shown above for 2017.